Saturday, March 2, 2019

Finding an approach

Today I was looking at different approaches to starting an opening and I found this cool video that talked about how to introduce characters.

I will link the video here:


I found it really interesting and valuable to find a resource that was in reference to Spielberg since he has directed some of the most well-known movies in the industry. As I was watching the video I realized that Spielberg's technique of combining what is called the "action method" and "fraction method" was something that I wanted to incorporate into my film opening. I know that I want to create something that would make the audience have to work in order to understand the true meaning. I feel that when I am watching movies such as any of Spielberg's movies I find satisfaction in figuring things out for myself instead of it being "spoon fed" to me. Those movies are the ones that make people actually think hard, and that is a quality I want to be reflected in my own film opening.

By demonstrating characters feelings emotions and qualities through their actions I feel that the audience will receive a deeper understanding of what the character is like. Adding the method of "Fraction" to the equation, which focuses on specific bits and pieces of a frame in order to point to a larger whole of a character, would add another dynamic to my film opening from which it would benefit. So, by incorporating techniques such as Spielberg's I feel I will be able to elicit an authentic response from the viewers and enable them to watch the rest of the movie. Because in the end, that is what first impressions are all about, right? Especially in film.

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

I have reached the end of the line and it is time to reflect! I went through a lot of ups and downs in the midst of creating this short film...