Thursday, April 9, 2020

Filmed the first scene!

Presented with the special circumstances of being limited to resources only available to me in my own home, I am forced to be the main actress in my short film. This does not come as a surprise for me as I knew I was going to have to do so for a long time but it slightly frightens me because I am not a professional actor nor do I have much experience in acting at all. Either way, I put my big girl panties on and I got ready to act! and also film! and everything else in between! 

For the introduction of the film, I took a couple short clips of the interior of the room to slowly set the tone of the film and establish the setting. I filmed outside my window and certain parts of my room and even included a short clip of the college letters that were spread across the desk. By including these shots I hope to try and introduce the idea that the girl is around that age where she is starting to look into college. 

Then I tried to include many different shots and angles of the girl staring at her ceiling. This was especially hard because I wanted to get a top shot of the girl as she laid on her bed. However, all I have is a little tripod and there was no way I was going to film a top shot while I was the actor. So thankfully I was able to get help from my brother to film this part. Then I shot a sequence of shots where the girl seems to feel like the blades of the fan are starting to move faster and faster and the alarm seems to ring louder and louder. 

Robin Cant Sleep GIF - Robin CantSleep TeenTitansGo - Discover ...

Coincidentally my fan's high setting is actually dysfunctional and it causes the fan to move so fast that it actually looks like it is going to fly off the wall. Usually, this is a bad thing as I fear it will crush me in my sleep but in this case, it was perfect for the tone I was trying to establish. So I filmed my fan starting on the normal setting and then worked it up to the high setting to try and deliver that sense of building anxiety.

In post-production, while I was editing this sequence and building up the sound my mother was actually fed up because the noise was so annoying. However, I took this as a form of validation for my work because that's exactly the kind of reaction that I'm hoping to deliver. I want to express the girl's sense of anxiety through this scene and I think it ended up working better than expected. 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

I have reached the end of the line and it is time to reflect! I went through a lot of ups and downs in the midst of creating this short film...