Saturday, April 11, 2020

Filming with mirrors and going back in time!

So today I filmed the next scene! I have been pacing back and forth about how I am going to film this scene because it is kind of a difficult technique to execute: a flashback. So in this scene: The girl is supposed to walk into the bathroom and look into the mirror. Then she is supposed to see herself as a child and reminisce on that time when she was younger. However, I do not have the editing skills to make myself look younger nor do I have the resources to contract a child actor. 

So I had to resort to making myself look like a child! This was honestly the last thing I wanted to do but at this point, it was the best thing I could do with my resources. I made sure to film all the parts of my present self first and then filmed the scenes of my younger self. For this, I completely transformed my bathroom and tried to make it look like that of a 10-year-old little girl. Then I put on some pajamas, put my hair in a braid and put on my old glasses. I also tried to cover up any acne I had to try and make my face slightly more youthful. I definitely looked younger but I just hope it comes across correctly in post-production. 

The other issue was filming with a mirror!!! If I had a small mirror in my bathroom it wouldn't be too big of an issue. However, my mirror covers like the ENTIRE wall. So finding a place to put it without it being seen was a whole ordeal.

This is me trying to see how it would look like above my door:
(didn't work)

This is me trying to put it above the cabinet on the opposite wall:
(again didn't work)

Here is me trying to hide it INSIDE of the cabinet:
(DID NOT work)

So finally I ended up putting the camera at an angle outside of the bathroom. It did not give me a straightforward view of the mirror like I would have wanted to but it worked sufficiently. I'm a little anxious to see how this is going to end up looking but I really hope I am able to successfully portray this flashback and the feeling of nostalgia along with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

CCR

I have reached the end of the line and it is time to reflect! I went through a lot of ups and downs in the midst of creating this short film...